Thursday, June 26, 2008

When Irish eyes are smiling

I was really sad to leave London. The people in the Google London office are great and it was a really fun team to work with. I'm also sad personally, as being in London delivered so many unexpected memories of my mom.

We're now in Dublin where it is rainy and very, very cold. In fact, it started to sleet this morning. We walked from our hotel to the Dublin castle this morning and it poured so hard, we aborted the mission, took 2 cabs back to the hotel so the kids could watch a movie before I went to work.

Despite the gloomy weather, I've been really impressed by the kindness of the Irish. Being of Irish descent, I'm not surprised, of course, but it has been noteworthy. The cab drivers were incredibly thoughtful, polite and helpful. When we told one driver we were of Irish descent, he said "God bless ya!". One woman on the street noticed we were a bit lost, came up to us and asked if she could help. She pointed us in the right direction and said in our Irish brogue, "do you have an umbrella? It's bound to rain today!" I said, "no, but we'll be fine." She said, "oh no, you won't, take mine!" I couldn't take it, of course, and explained we had them in the hotel. But I was still really overwhelmed with such an act of kindness. The kids keep asking Irish people we meet where the Leprachauns are. Everyone has been helpful pointing out tips. Kiki even found some of their footprints in the sidewalk. And last night, apparently, they came in and ate all the kids' cookies!

At my mom's wake, my cousin Timmy Shea sang "When Irish eyes are smiling". I somehow feel my mom smiling down on us here, despite the rain. In fact, I think she brought it down on us so we could enjoy every moment in the Four Seasons hotel where we are staying. Her favorite thing to do would be to go to a fancy hotel and watch movies all night and order room service. :)

No comments: