Thursday, August 24, 2006

Seeking Sierra Club, EPA or some environmental contact

While the debate over pesticides continue to rage here in India, we continue to steer clear of the sugary beverages. But what is safe? The CEO of Coke India argues that they have been singled out because they are foreign-owned. They argue that no Indian soft drink makers have been tested for similar violations, even though many people believe that pesticide levels are even higher in Indian-made milk and bottled tea. Worse, pesticide residues are present in virtually all groundwater in India, and the government has done nothing about it.

What a wonderful world we live in. Everything we drink in India is poisoned. (As an aside: thank God we just found a place that sells South African wine. Instead of being poisoned by pesticides, we'll go the alcoholic route). I'm not aware of any independent, accredited environmental organization doing any testing of these beverages. I'd love to do a test on all of these things and get the results. If you have a contact for me, please send it on.

In the meantime, I continue to cast shame on Coke and Pepsi. I believe the reports and think they need to be held to the highest of standards.

No comments: