Tuesday, August 22, 2006

While I was parenting...

The last time I lived abroad was in 1994 in Kenya. Prior to that, I lived in Japan, Israel, Cyprus, and France, with lots of independent travels in between. I'm really grateful to have had so many great opportunities and hope my kids will have the same.

Since my last escapade abroad, I have started a career, got married, gave birth to 3 kids, adopted 2 pooches, bought/sold a few homes, and became a full-fledged boring grown-up. While there are some things that feel the same about being abroad such as the the excitement of learning a new language or culture, trying new food (getting sick from trying new food), viewing different landscapes, a lot has changed since Katie B.C. (Katie before children). These things include:

  • Advances in telecommunication: internet, cell phones, email, SMS

  • Cyber cafes

  • Coffee shops/chains

  • Ipod

  • Security fears thanks to 9/11. I had to give up my hand sanitizer gel at the airport going on a business trip to Chennai. That almost killed me.

  • Thanks to telecom advances, instant information

  • AIDS/HIV. Not that I'm visiting prostitutes, you dirty minded reader, but just an observation

  • Citizen journalism: blogs, youtube, myspace, facebook... everyone has something to say

  • Ringtones

  • Less smokers, but still too many

  • More dislike of Americans. Thanks a lot, George W


  • It certainly is easier to be abroad in terms of staying connected to loved ones and information. But it still carries the thrill of learning something new while still deeply appreciating what we have back home.

    No comments: