I am running to become a delegate from Congressional District 14 (CD 14) for Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention in Denver in August. CD 14 represents parts of Santa Clara, San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties (for the full list, please go to our Congresswoman, Anna Eshoo's site). I am writing to ask for your support.
2 years ago, I met Barack Obama at a work-related dinner and I was floored. I was floored by his intelligence, sincerity, compassion and candor. When he decided to run for President, I knew instantly that I would not only support his candidacy, but would work hard to help him get elected. Since last year, I have hosted Obama gatherings and fundraisers at my home, volunteered to be a precinct captain in my community, made phone calls locally and nationally, stood outside at 6am with my young children and friends on Election Day, travelled to Nevada to knock on doors and help facilitate a caucus, and am going to Pennsylvania on April 9th to help get out the vote and host another fundraising event.
There are 38 people running for the 3 delegate positions in our district (2 female and 1 male). In addition to steep competition, apparently, the history of delegate selection is based on "alliances" so people can widen their potential pool of voters. This seems goofy to me and too much like the TV show "Survivor" so I've decided to avoid this type of campaign strategy. My only campaign strategy is a promise to represent CD 14 with pride, transparency, and passion. I promise to blog, twitter and share videos on YouTube from the floor of the convention -- all three of these great technologies were born in Silicon Valley so it only makes sense to show them off!
Here are the details of the delegate election:
WHEN: Sunday, April 13 from 2-3pm
WHERE: Columbia Neighborhood Center in Sunnyvale, at 785 Morse Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085-3010.
WHAT HAPPENS: Arrive as early as 2pm to cast your vote and skedaddle if you need to. Or, if you'd like to stick around, there will be speeches at 3pm.
WHO CAN VOTE: You must live in CD 14 and be a registered Democrat. You can vote for me if you voted for Obama or Clinton, or didn't vote at all. Apparently, you can also register to be a Democrat there, so if you are an Independent, Republican or undeclared, and want to switch for this election, you can. :)
THE IRONY: I will *not* be at the election as I will be knocking on doors in Pennsylvania. My good friends, Jim, Cindy & Clementene Clayton, and Jill Wernicke have kindly offered to read a brief speech on my behalf.
No comments:
Post a Comment