Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Who let the dogs out?


It's heartbreaking being a dog lover in Bangalore. There are a bunch of wild dogs that roam the streets with their tails between their legs, lumps all over their bodies and absolutely filthy from sleeping and eating in the heaps of trash. They are skittish when you come nearby; I assume they are used to being hit. In fact, we saw a yellow lab being walked a few days ago and our family collectively ached for our pooches, Chobe and Duke. As the dog got closer, he seemed eager to say hello, and the dog walker wacked him on the head with his leash. Unable to contain myself, I yelled out a long drawn "nooooooooooooooo" but the guy looked at me like I was a crazy lady and just went the other way.

Sadly, there's not much we can do about the situation. But I did buy some dog food to feed the local pooches today, but they weren't interested. Later on, I squirreled away some bacon from the kids breakfast and offered that to the dogs, which seemed to go over well.

No comments: