Paris in 1990 vs 2008
When I was a Junior in college, I spent a semester abroad in Paris. Coincidentally, so did Patrick -- at the very same time. It's really interesting for us to both be here together, now married and with children, wondering if we had ever passed by one another at a park or a cafe. In fact, I hated the way the French pronounced "Katie" -- more like "Kah-tee" which sounded like a sneeze. As a result, I told everyone in Paris my name was "Kaylie" which sounded far prettier to me. Looking back, that was a really dorky thing to do, but I really loved that name. I loved it so much, I pushed hard to name our second daughter "Caleigh". :)
Paris has all the same beauty and of course, monuments as when I was here. The main differences for me today are: access to information on the Internet, Starbucks (ew!), having more money to actually enjoy Paris (I was on a thrify $100/month budget back then), my now addiction to coffee (now I'm spending half my budget on cappucino's), being a mom, and not being able to call my mom. :( My mom would have loved Paris -- bring your dog to a restaurant, smoke your lungs off, drink wine and eat the fattiest meal imagineable! In fact, yesterday, I ordered an omelette at a cafe that was dripping in butter and brie, with french fries on the side and I could hear my arteries essentially close up shop for the day. The unfortunate part is that while a French woman could eat that and not gain a pound, my metabolism rate seems to be on a French strike and the clothes are getting tighter and tighter. Quelle domage!
No comments:
Post a Comment