Thursday, July 03, 2008

Pint O'Guinness by Patrick


Ireland was a nice break from the busy pace of London for me and the kids. In Dublin, I didn't feel like there was much to do with the kids and the weather was awful. We hung out in the Four Seasons, went swimming and took a long stroll through a local park. The stroll turned into a sodden hike, but it was beautiful in its own way. I set the kids up with a long distance running race through some beautiful trees, and we meandered around a lovely duck pond while it rained heavy drops.

We ended up back at the hotel in time for hot chocolate and a hot bath. We went to see Riverdance with Katie. It was a tremendous show. But before meeting her, I really wanted to have a pint of Guiness at an Irish pub.

Our driver, named Patrick, from the hotel dropped us a few blocks from the theater by three old pubs. We chose one that was a fair amount more raucous than the London pubs that I patroned.


Ellie, Kiki, and Declan had a coke each, and I had a pint of Guiness. In Ireland, the Guiness is 4.5% alcohol. Quite a bit stronger than England and the US.

The kids had a great time and I did, too.



Afterwards, we strolled through St. Stephen's Green in central Dublin on our way to the theater. The Green was dripping wet from the rain, but the evening sun was shining brilliantly, which made every drop on every leaf glow. We only spent 10 minutes in the Green, but it was perhaps the prettiest city park scene I've ever been. It was so quintessentially green and Irish, it gave me a high (the pint of strong Guiness didn't hurt).

No comments: