Monday, September 04, 2006

God's country

From the pictures below, you'll see our weekend trip to Kerala, aptly nicknamed "God's country". Kerala's backwaters include a web of watherways that meander throughout southern India. There is not much to do in Kerala besides idle down the waterways on a houseboat, listen to indian drums and flutes add rhythm to the clouds, indulge in an Ayurvedic massage (I admit it sounds more exotic than it was relaxing), and lounge in the pools under the tropical sun. We stayed at an exceptional resort that had the best food I have ever eaten in my life with the world's best service. In fact, the staff was so attentive I had to make a point to avoid eye contact so they wouldn't come over and try to help with anything! It was a wonderful break from the chaos of Bangalore and I literally had tears in my eyes leaving. Kiki even told me she wanted one of the girls there to become her "Indian mom".

This is our last week in Bangalore. We're going to really be stupid and schlep everyone up to Delhi this weekend* and then take a train to see the Taj Mahal. It will be a painful last minute adventure, but it just seems wrong to come to India and *not* see the Taj Mahal. We'll be back in the good ole U.S.of A. next week. And boy, will we have some perspective.

*Disclosure: This is my idea and I will suffer for this. Patrick thinks it's ludicrous and I'm sure he's right. But come 'on.. it's the Taj Mahal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you let me know the name of the resort?

planning for a vacation...

Katie Jacobs Stanton said...

Lake Komarakum Resort in Kerala. It was great!