Friday, September 08, 2006

There's something about Shashikala

When we first arrived in Bangalore, we were a mess. We were totally jet lagged, the apartment was disappointing, we did not know where to find food and were starving. We went to the Google office at 8am (after having rickshawed around Bangalore for a few hours without success) and they suggested we go to the St. Marks hotel around the corner for breakfast.

St. Marks is not a fancy hotel, just something convenient for business travellers. We didn't care -- it was clean, had plenty of food choices, but most of all, they had a hostess who melted our heart, Shashikala. Shashikala has the most tender and loving disposition which I will remember forever. And I think if Kiki is to remember anything about India when she is older, it will be Shashikala. There was an unexplainable chemistry between Shashikala and our family, Kiki in particular. She greeted us so warmly, helped the kids get settled with their food, painted bindi's on Kiki and stuffed their pockets full of sweets as they left. (No, it was more than candy that sold Kiki on Shashikala).

We were really sad to say goodbye to her as she had become such an important part of our stay in Bangalore, in an odd way. How weird to think you want to go to a restaurant b/c you like the hostess and they are so genuinely nice to your kids. On our last day, I tried to give Shashikala a modest $20 "tip" to thank her for her kindness. She probably makes that much in 2 weeks, but she wouldn't accept it. She explained that all she wanted was "Kiki's love." Being the sentimentalist I am, I almost broke down in tears and wanted to give her $200! I hid the money for her and said goodbye. We'll really miss her and hope to see her again.

No comments: