Saturday, August 12, 2006

Capitalism is impatient

Bangalore is a city caught between the poverty of its past and the promise of its future. Sprinkled against the failing infrastructure are a medley of internet cafe's, technology companies (Yahoo, Infosys, HP, Intel, Google), 5 star hotels and western shops such as Nautica and Espirit. There is a high rise going up near our apartment with a heliport on top, yet the roads surrounding the building are buckling, the "sidewalks" barely serve its purpose and are covered with dirt, rocks and even feces. Around every corner you'll find a small, hideous generator facility to serve the new buildings as the private sector has had to take basic services into their own hands. At least to me, it seems that the city government has been sleeping for the past 10 years and just woke up to the technology boom. And now that they're awake, they seem paralyzed with what to do.

I like it like that.. I like it like it

Today I walked into Cafe Coffee Day, a local cafe that is part of an Indian chain. I was initially struck by the high powered AC, cleanliness of the facility, the menu which had even more choices than Starbucks, and the music blasting "I like it like that...". Just like the city of Bangalore, this cafe was pulsating with optimism and ambition.

What also struck me when looking out at the teens and 20-somethings sitting around the wi-fi enabled cafe was the hookah's at each table. No, I'm not talking ghetto for "hookers", I mean the smoking stuff. Of course, they're not doing bong hits, but they are smoking tobacco community style. Really wild.

No comments: