Monday, August 07, 2006

Good morning Bangalore!

We arrived in Bangalore, India at 4:30am IST after about 48 hours of travelling from the mountains of Colorado to Denver to London and then to Bangalore. Very quickly, a few observations, first impressions:

- The kids were actually GREAT on the plane, but TERRIBLE upon arrival. They have no fear and walk around like it's la la California. India seems safe, but it's still not home and definitely not pedestrian friendly.

- The first leg to London was fine. I felt slightly freaked out given the 10 dudes behind me yelling at each other and a random lady in Arabic. Does that make me racist? (Jill/Sani/David, let me know). :) The second leg to Bangalore was smooth but smelly. It was like a giant can of farts and b.o.

- Bangalore is as dirty as we kind of expected. Declan observed last night in the cab: OMG, India is so dirty.. don't they have any brooms here?

- Kiki observed in the plane from London to Bangalore: Mom, why are there so many Indians on the plane? :)

- As we drove up to the apartment this morning, Patrick was silent and then said, "Katie, I'm gonna kill you". I had to admit, it looked pretty bleak. It's fine, but we need to do the math and see if we can upgrade and stay at a nice hotel, instead. :)

- The Google office is great. After our long trip, a few rickshaw rides and breakfast, I went into the office to get settled. The Google Finance tech lead, AC, introduced me to everyone and then we went to the window for the good view. Suddenly, my eyes narrowed to this cute little girl walking alone and I said, "OMG, that's Ellie!" I couldn't see Patrick anywhere. AC and I ran down the stairs and then found Ellie w/ Patrick and the twins about 75 feet away. I almost had a heart attack.

- Bangalore is not kid friendly at all. Not sure what we will do. I do not feel great about seeing Ellie almost lost within a few hours of arrival!

More later.. sleepy!

2 comments:

Natala said...

Yeah! you are in bangalore!!! glad to hear you made it there safely. Defn upgrade to more luxury accomodations.

miss ya!

Anonymous said...

Hello mother, hello father, here we are in .........

Things will be better after you are rested.

Love you all!