Travelling to a third world country is one thing, but doing it with 3 kids is an entirely different ballgame. It's wonderful to have 3 free-spirited, adventurous kids, but in India, I think it's going to give me a heart attack. They have no understanding of the consequences of eating food that falls on the ground or walking aimlessly in the streets. Patrick and I are on edge trying to tame their excitement and prevent them from getting sick. I'm hopeful this will just get easier.
I feel really bad for Patrick. He hasn't slept in days and even Ambien didn't help. The kids have been really tough and he doesn't have an outlet like I do. I love going to the Google office -- the people are great, the projects are exciting and in a few weeks, I'm going to Chennai to meet folks in the online education space, including a friend of Thomas Friedman's who he introduced me to! But Patrick is stuck between wanting to find his next professional venture and wanting to enjoy India with the kids. It's pretty exhausting and I know he'll manage brilliantly, but I know it's especially hard on him now.
India is cool. The people are really friendly and the service part of the culture is abundantly clear. We go to a nice hotel for breakfast every day so the kids can fill their bellies with their comfort food of bacon, eggs, cereal and fruit. There is at least 2 waiters for each of us and the kids think it's hilarious. Even the guy who made Ellie a boiled egg wrote "hi" on it. :)
Our apartment is on the first floor which makes it loud and dark. Around 2am, I heard Declan at the window looking outside. Some guy walked by and started to talk to him. The dialogue was as follows:
Indian guy: What your name
Declan: Declan
Indian Guy: What
Declan: Declan!
Indian Guy: Huh?
Declan: D E C L A N!
Indian Guy: Oh. Where you from?
Declan: Africa
Indian Guy: Huh. Bye
The Indian men are really sweet to the kids but being the paranoid Americans we are, we're not sure if they are really nice or potentially pedophiles. I'm sure they're just nice, but we'll be careful, all the same.
This morning, Kiki asked me: "When are we going to India?" I told her we were in India. She thought for a moment and then said, "Why are there so many Indians here?"
1 comment:
So next time we meet and have dinner together, if we pick Blanquette de Veau and Ratatouille for the meal, it means you come to France 6 months after? ;)
Cheers, and all the best - esp. to Patrick and your 3 young pedestrians!
Love from Paris,
-- Grégoire
Post a Comment